If you are looking to score your dream home on the Upper West Side, you certainly have a lot of architectural gems to choose from. Bounded by Central Park, the Hudson River, and stretching from 59th St. to 110th St. there’s a lot of area to cover. Most of the buildings will be condominiums or co-ops instead of single-family residences, and real estate in this area is very highly valued. However, the market is warming, and prices may surge by nearly 5% within the next year.
Now is the time to secure your place in the neighborhood you’ve always dreamed of. Here are five ways to make sure that you not only get the best deal but the best condo.
* When you are visiting an open house on the Upper West Side, make sure to chat up any residents that you meet and look at the overall condition of the building. Deferred maintenance can mean real problems that might not be evident until you’re moved in.
* Transparency should be a big factor when it comes to hunting condos for sale. Along with spacious interiors and abundant natural light, one of your qualifications should be that the reserve fund for the building should be adequate, and the CR&Rs available for inspection before you make an offer.
* Apartments for sale in buildings such as 360 Central Park West often go in a hurry. Prewar buildings are much in demand for the size of the rooms and elegance of their architectural features. It’s best to come pre approved with a mortgage in hand to secure the best negotiating position.
* Visit the building’s neighborhood at different times of day to understand the flow of traffic and people. If you must be at work early in the morning on Monday, you’re not going to want to have everybody partying down the night before. Neighborhoods with hot nightclubs tend to have a lot of associated drama.
* Pay close attention to the homeowner’s association fees that the building is charging and make sure that they are in line with other Upper West Side condos for sale.
Finally, real estate in New York City is not a DIY proposition. It takes an experienced realtor to set you up with the right neighborhood and the right condo. Start interviewing realtors before you start looking.
Like 360 Central Park West on Facebook for more news & updates!